Thursday, September 20, 2007

Recently had the opportunity to check out a "SuperVision" night vision monocular. It operates on a lowlight high resolution CCD image sensor with variable gain control and frame integration to achieve low light viewing performance. It did not match up to a PVS-14 Generation 3 night vision device, contrary to advertisements I've seen. It was unable to view detail from far away. What I personally thought it did extremely well, was display what I call "Night Shadows". If you were to view a dark area with a fair amount of ambient light, but could not see under trees and bushes, because those areas were darker or darker ( what I call night shadows ), the SuperVision enables you to see into those areas from a about 50-75 yards away. It is perfect for that. Would you see more with a Gen 3 PVS-14? Yes. But it will cost you more to see the same thing. Overall, if you're on a lower budget, a SuperVision monocular could make sense for your application, it just depends on exactly what your application is and how serious. If lives are on line, I probably wouldn't recommend it. If keeping on eye on your property or backyard at night, I would very much consider it.